0x80200049 error when Outlook 2007 tries to download the OAB…

Posted by in Exchange

I found a decent fix for the 0x80200049 error when my Outlook 2007 client continuously failed to download the OAB. This only affected my client and persisted throughout OST rebuilds, Outlook profile recreation and various other troubleshooting steps.

I started to notice the BITS errors in the System Log and found out that the BITS transfer queue was full of jobs. Because Outlook uses BITS to download the OAB the transfer queue being full causes the OAB download to fail.

The resolution was to run the following command to clear the transfer queue:

bitsadmin.exe /reset

If the user doesn’t have access to run this you can run the following command as an administrator:

bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers